Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Land Park 5

  • Distance: 5
  • Time: 38:55
  • Pace: 7:47
I know I sound like a whiner, but it's still warm in Sac! The mercury tickled 64 degrees this morning before the sun came up! Note: all of my temperature readings come courtesy of the new changeable message sign in front of Sacramento City College...and we all know how reliable those temp readings are: not so much. 

The good news: I didn't feel any residual fatigue from the long run on Saturday. This means either the I didn't run hard enough, or I'm getting used to running long again. It's probably a little of both. 

The bad news: my desired marathon pace of 7:37/mile still feels "fast." I want 7:37 to feel like a recovery pace, but it still feels like I'm pushing it. I think the only choice I have is to begin including some speed workouts...groan!!! Of course, I have NO idea how that's going to happen. 

In other news, Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia smashed his marathon world record by 27 seconds Sunday, winning the Berlin Marathon in 2:03:59. Gebrselassie, 35, became the first man to win at Berlin for the third time. Let's do the math: Gebrselassie  averaged 4:44/mile for 26.2 miles. Am I the only person floored by that?!?!?! Suddenly, 7:37/mile doesn't seem like such a big deal.

No comments: