Monday, September 1, 2008

Sunday Long Run

I usually do my long runs on Saturday, but my girls were out of town and I had my Fantasy Football Draft on Friday night, so Sunday held a special allure for me this week. (note: I drafted 10th of a 10 team league and made some poor drafting choices…my team sucks this year) I started at the 6.5 mile mark on the American River Bike trail with a goal of 8:00 mins/mi and 13 miles on the run. I finished faster and ran 14, so that was a good thing. I can’t remember the last time I ran this distance, this well, this far in advance of the CIM. Usually I’m cramming in a 14 in early November.

Notes and Observations:

· Fleet Feet CIM Training Team: The Sacramento Fleet Feet store has a CIM Training Program. The guys at the Fleet Feet store in are without parallel for knowledge and customer service…their training programs are equally well supported and organized. I ran into about 150+ of their crew between Howe and Watt on the bike trail. I was impressed to see that many people out there. Good stuff.

· Foot Pain: The ball of my left foot is talking to me a little bit. Unfortunately, it’s saying, “Ouch!” It’s not bad, about a 3 out of 10 on the pain scale. I’m just going to watch it for now. But I think my left foot may warrant a few more blog entries before the CIM. Getting old sucks.

· CSUS Cross Country Team: speaking of getting old, I saw the new guard on the trail. The CSUS men’s cross country team was out for a little run. Judging from the breeze that nearly pushed me off the trail when they passed, I guess they clipped along at about 6:00 min/mile pace. They were talking as they passed, but I couldn’t understand them. I think they were speaking in their native tongue: antelope.

· Mike Morris: My training partner from the late 90’s met at 3.5 miles into the run and ran with me for 7 miles. It was GREAT to see him and I really appreciate him coming out. I ran into his wife at one of my client sites and got his email address. He’s still running (just completed his fourth Eppies Great Race as an Ironman…nice) and he was eager to meet up with me.

No comments: