Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Social Network

I have a client who needed to set up a space where researchers from around the world could collaborate on what else, research topics. I thought MySpace and Facebook might lack credibility with this crowd so I sought a viable alternative. It turns out that the former founder of Netscape, Marc Andreessen created a social networking space on the Internet called Ning. Ning hopes to compete with large social sites like MySpace and Facebook, by appealing to users who want to create networks around specific interests or have limited technical skills. The unique feature of Ning is that anyone can create their own custom social network for a particular topic or need, catering to specific audiences…that, and it’s not blocked by my clients firewall. <evil grin> So, as a proof of concept, I created a Sacramento Running “social network”. It will probably go nowhere, but here it is.

 

http://sacrun.ning.com/

 

No comments: