Thursday, August 7, 2008

Shameless Gear Pimping

Here’s a list of some of my favorite running toys:

· Route Mapping: Until I get a GPS, the USATF has a great site that helps you map your routes.

· Hydration: I use the CamelBak Siren for hydration. It’s a 1.5 liter backpack (not too big and not too small) that allows me to carry some necessities and I barely know it’s there. This is not the Siren, but it’s close enough. And a sternum strap.

· Fueling: Anything from Hammer Nutrition. These guys got it right!!! Here are the products I use:

o Hammer Gel: I water it down in a flask. Raspberry is my choice.

o HEED: You’ll never touch Gatorade again! Lemon Lime.

o Perpetuem: I use this on longer runs. It really helped get me through the AR50. I find it’s best consumed from the hydration pack. When I had it out of a water bottle, it tended to foam a little too much for my tummy’s liking. Because there’s no air space in the hydration pack, it stays as it should.

o Endurolytes: I found myself getting POUNDING headaches after my long runs. It turns out they were caused by dehydration. I added Endurolytes to the mix and righted more than my headaches. Good stuff!

o Recoverite: I don’t know what they put in this little powder,

o Supplements: I’m a vegetarian (much to my foodie girlfriend’s chagrin…sorry Abby). I use the Hammer supplements and soy protein to keep everything in balance.

· Shoes: The Mizuno Wave Rider.

· Socks: I like loud, fun socks. So anything from the Sock Guy. I was turned on to the Sock Guy by Abby. Here was my first pair from her, the Addict. They're still my favorite.

That’s all for now.

No comments: