Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Land Park...Austin 5

My calves were a little tight this morning so I decided to push my speed workout to Thursday in favor of a recovery run...I really don't want a visit from the injury fairy this late in training. 

So, I get to the park and along comes Austin. He was running so fast, I swear he skidded for 30 feet before he got down to my pace. I feel old. :-) I sped up to about 6:45 pace and he slowed to meet me. He's insanely talented, but he's never run a marathon before. He has a lot of anxiety about the CIM. So we talked mostly about race strategy. Okay, I know half of the readers just shot coffee out their nose when laughing at that last statement. Ha ha, I get it. I'm probably the LAST person to give him running advice (FYI, his last 22 mile long run averaged between 5:21 and 5:24 mins/mi), but I have run more than a few marathons and I'm very familiar with the whims of the CIM, so we chatted. He's going to run the Apple Hill Harvest run as his first Sacramento area race. I predict he'll win...by a large margin.

So much for a "recovery" run.

No comments: