Monday, January 12, 2009

How Running Marathons Made Me a Sissy

It's true! Running marathons has made me a sissy. I used to run around dehydrated, malnourished, and hungover without a problem. Then I started training for marathons. Stupid! As I got in better shape, I began to eat better (lest I pay the price of an urgent need for a restroom), I began to take supplements (to offset the readily apparent effects of aging), and I began to properly hydrate (to make my runs easier and recover quickly). The net effect is that I've created a hyper-sensitive system...yes, the sissy. Now, if I eat wrong, my sissy tummy grumbles. If I drink too much...defined as anything more than one sissy drink, I get a sissy hangover. And, if I don't hydrate properly...even when not training hard, you guessed it, I get a sissy dehydration headache. So, I ask you, what is the upside to training for marathons? I think we're better off eating junk and drinking too much. Our body acclimates  to the adversity and mutes all of our "normal" responses. Hence, we live a happier life. Yes, I know this conflicts with the my post extolling the benefits of exercise but it's my blog. :-)

No comments: